Thursday, September 29, 2016

Saucy's Bar-be-que

Today’s surprise destination would take us to Old Towne Petersburg, where I  heard  The Brickhouse Run Restaurant served British/American cuisine.  So I set the cars GPS and headed north. Mom had no clue!

Once in Petersburg, we wound our way around the exits and old roads!  The Old Towne area is being revitalized and parts are simply beautiful- and some are not. We drove through both! Along our way, we noticed a cute small building (actually a refurbished shipping container) on the corner with a smoker, a stack of fire wood, and a sign for BBQ. It was adorable, and cars were parking at their curb to pick up their lunch.



We continued on, passing huge warehouses with new signs of ‘Loft’ apartments. The roads were bumpy with old cobblestone and bricks. Since we were in the area of the old train station, we also passed displays of train engines, some dating back to the early 1900’s.



We finally pulled up to The Brickhouse Run Restaurant only to find it was CLOSED on Mondays. Oh No! We just laughed. Then, at the same time we said….”HEY… feel like BBQ?”  And we turned the car around!

Soon we found the old smoker, and realized that it also had a ‘sit-down’ restaurant nearby, perfect! Mom and I went on inside, stopping once to ask a patron to please take our picture. Everyone was so nice!



 Wow, the building was decorated in industrial lighting and even the tables were made of pipes and poured concrete. Very interesting and I loved it! We enjoyed viewing the old car lift, remnants of the old Nash Rambler Car Business that once occupied this building long ago!





Jessica, our waitress, greeted us and handed our paper menus which proudly displays that Southern Living Magazine named them “The South’s Best Butt” and a varied menu of everything BBQ’d!



  I ordered the Pulled Pork Sandwich, and so did mom. Over the speakers I could hear the Allman Brothers Band playing  ‘Midnight Rider’, followed by The Eagles with “Hotel California”. Nope, not our usual stopping spot.




Our meal arrived on a metal tray, topped with brown paper. Eclectic! I asked our waitress if they were ¼ bun pans and she explained that they were actually surplus surgical instrument trays. Metal- fitting with this industrial décor.  It was fun! And very different! So glad we stopped here today!

This BBQ is sweet BBQ , my favorite! And the meat – although it was listed as ‘pulled pork’ melted in my mouth! Delicious! Fries were dusted with a sweet bbq seasoning, and were crunchy. My meal was perfect! 

The restaurant certainly has a variety of customers, from soldiers (Ft Lee is nearby) to business men and women, friends visiting Old Towne Shops , to construction workers. Today, we all had one thing in common…we all LOVE BBQ!  


Next stop, Michaels, our favorite craft store!  Mom has been painting, and needed some frames. I was given a gift of an Audubon lithograph and wanted to get it framed. Mom found exactly what she needed. Me? Well, my lithograph is an odd size and so it was harder to locate one. I did get a quote on having a frame made, then decided promptly that hubbie might be able to create one for me in his workshop!  We stopped by the fall décor and Halloween items and shopped a bit! Such fun! 



We had eaten, we shopped, and now it was time to head home. Both of us still full from BBQ, but there is always room for ice cream! I stopped at Wendys for Frostys….the cups were so small (but honestly all I needed!)  I laughed and said it looked like an ice cream SHOT glass. Mom upended her cup! I took a  photo and we laughed!
(No she didn’t down it! No brain freezes today!)  




Great food and service at Saucy's in Old Towne Petersburg, fun shopping at the craft store with mom, and finished the day with a ‘shot’ of ice cream, the day was simply PERFECT 

5 comments:

  1. Certainly sounds idyllic, always good to spend quality time with your Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun place - love the industrial decor and the serving trays! Sweet BBQ is my favorite. Sounds like a perfect day to me - good food, a trip to the craft store and ice cream! Of course, always best when spent in good company. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the look of this restaurant Latane, looks like you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound like a very interesting place to eat!
    Our favorite BBQ place here also serves delicious fried catfish. Makes it difficult to choose!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved seeing your trip to Petersburg and having my favorite meal - BBQ! Hope you find a solution to framing the lithograph. If your dh can do it, let him make a frame. I once had a painting professionally framed for a wedding gift. I ended up paying about $150 for the framing. They told me I had gotten it for 40% off. I nearly fainted.

    ReplyDelete