Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Egg Bistro Adventure

I decided today’s ‘Lunch Adventure’ would take us to northern Suffolk, (aka Harbor View) so I asked mom to meet me along the route. As she stepped from her car I noticed that she was wearing…an orange top and white pants! Oh My Gosh, we did it AGAIN!!! I had on almost the same ensemble!  This is getting crazy! It was certainly going to be a ‘peachy’ day today!



We met earlier than usual today and I was craving ‘brunch’! The Egg Bistro at Harbor View offers a great one! So, she jumped into my car and the two of us headed in that direction!

The Bistro offers breakfast items as well as lunch and dinner fare. Today, I was interested in one thing, breakfast! Oh… make that two things…breakfast AND a mimosa! So naughty! But when you treat yourself out, shouldn’t you have fun? (And, mimosas are so fun!) Mom had ‘fun’ too, hers was strawberry!  I ordered the mango one! So good!





Scanning over the menu, I spied  ‘cronuts’ , and being a baker (and never having one before) I decided I would try them along with a hearty breakfast. Oh My God! They are amazing.  They remind me of French toast, flaky light interior, with a crunchy exterior, dusted in cinnamon and drizzled with honey. 




Along with my cronuts, I ordered traditional eggs, bacon, and hash browns! Mom tried a creative omelet of Havarti cheese, peppers and onions with a side of hash browns. She couldn’t finish it all! But, she DID manage to finish her mimosa! 



One of my mother’s many hobbies is Quilting, and she is amazing at it! She has dozens and dozens of them completed. But lately, it is proving more difficult for her to sit at her sewing machine for hours at a time, and even to just hand sew them. So she stopped quilting. Way back in the 70s, she created one by piecing together the history of hers and dads life story on to a quilt. Each square depicted their journey through marriage, each place they had lived, and where each child was born.  



Mom felt sure that with four children, there might be a scuffle to claim that quilt after she was gone! (I felt certain I could get my hands on it faster than the other three kids so I never worried about it!) But, she decided she would replicate that quilt so each of us could have one. Today’s side stop would be a cute quilt shop called Bellas. I helped her select the fabric to use on her project. The store has a sea of specialized fabrics and rows of thread! I can see why quilters love this store! There is even an adjoining room with machines stitching away!   



Fabric in hand we headed back to her car. Our journey continued, and we laughed and talked about sewing, and projects. Then… I realized that we were near a cute donut shop called O’Doodle Doo’s.



Now, we definitely DID NOT need any more to eat, but this stop wasn’t for us. This stop was for our fellas that we left at home today! I picked out a few for my husband. But when I turned around, mom had selected a dozen! I asked her WHY she needed a full dozen and she told me she “was going to make the men at the apartment complex happy”. Uh mom, you might want to re-word that!  She laughed and said, “ Oh dear, I meant…I want to visit the guys, and give them one.” She tried ‘rewording’ her sentence over and over, but it simply got worse! The clerk and I were in stitches! 
 There simply was NO WAY she was going to be able to fix this!



So we bought the donuts and I told her “Under NO circumstance, do I want to know what you do with those donuts!” 

It is great to laugh! It is even better, when you get to do it over and over again!

I love being silly with you, mom! 

6 comments:

  1. The quilted history is a family historian's dream. Great post. I smiled too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a fun post! Love your matching outfits - gorgeous gals - and all that delicious sounding food is making me very hungry! I have never heard of 'cronuts' out here in WA, but maybe I have just not looked hard enough! I will be looking for those :) The quilt is amazing and such a wonderful keepsake. I love that Mom is making one for each, too. Too funny about the dozen donuts. I'm sure she made the fellas happy! Now here I go with saying the wrong thing.....hahaha! xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popped over from your Mums blog, you both made me smile dressed so alike. All that food sounded delicious and the cakes at the end of the post were a delight, as well as the story about the doughnuts such fun. The quilt was amazing and wonderful that you will all get one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I'm glad you and your mom can do this. Great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks delicous! So glad you take us along on our adventures! Isn't IT WEIRD??--MY DAUGHTER AND I DO THAT SAME THING-----she shows up, or I show up, wearing the same colors/almost the same outfits! ha ha ha LOL Even down to the earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A life story quilt - what a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete