Saturday, June 25, 2016

Wharf Hill Brewery

Today's adventure took us back to the town of Smithfield. We'd heard a lot of good things about a place called Wharf Hill Brewing Company and so, we wanted to add it to our 'out to lunch' adventures.

Wharf Hill has been a main focus of Smithfield since 1752. It sits on the Pagan River and was once a shipping center. During the segregation era it served as the black business district. The building that now houses the Brewery was built in 1906.  

To read more about this fascinating place click on Wharf Hill Brewery.



We were seated in the main dining area where the atmosphere is charming, quaint and conversation-provoking. The three rooms house a bar area, an additional dining area (where we were seated) and an event room. Each is the size of an old 'turn of the century' store with plank floors and beautiful ceilings. 

There was a large dug-out canoe hanging on the wall. It had been discovered in Mill Swamp. 

The wooden pedestal tables are inlaid with German beer coasters. 



Fresh flowers in old bottles decorate the tables. The booths are 1915 oak pews that once stood in a Mission Church in Port Norfolk. 

Shirley's Review:

When you walk in you are greeted by a long beautiful wooden bar. But don't let the 'Brewery' part of it's name throw you off. This is a bonafide restaurant as well. We learned that the Chicken Pot Pie, Meatloaf and Crab Cakes are on the top of the 'to try' list. 

I checked out the menu online the night before and noticed 'Deep Fried Crab Balls' being offered as an appetizer. Ah, come on! Gotta order those! When they arrived, they were amazing. Imagine a wonderful crab cake recipe, lightly breaded and fried! 
Hello!



My mind was set on their Caesar Salad. But, I spied a delicious platter being served to the table next to us and quickly went over to ask them how it was. The Seafood Combo Platter was huge but I was starving and felt certain that I could handle it. I was wrong!

It came with a large piece of fried halibut, oysters, shrimp and.....a crab cake. (Yay... I get more crab cake!) Ask for their remoulade sauce, too. It is amazing. I subbed the friend green tomatoes for crunchy onion rings which are hand-breaded in-house. Perfect. And, yes, my entire plate was friend and fabulous. The only further request I had was a 'take out' box! There was no way I could finish this!

NO DESSERT! OMG, we could hardly move! Once in the car, we put our 'take home' boxes in the cooler and decided to walk off our lunch by way of a few specialty shops. 



First stop, Relics. This cute little shop sells 're-purposed items'. The shop has a Nantucket feel, all white-washed items, some with shells. 

There were pretty mirrors, benches made of old headboards, lots of unusual things, like the light fixture made of a bait bucket liner. I would love to have something from this shop but, alas, I have no room in my apartment. I did find some fragrant specialty soaps and bought one of those. Shirley purchased a bracelet that she loved. 



We walked next door to a cute novelty shop, Beyond Main, featuring adorable fun clothing and unique jewelry. I immediately spied a red cross-body purse in a bold pattern. I told Shirley 'I have to have that'. Quickly I talked myself out of it and then I reached for it once more. 
Life is just too short. Girls never have too many purses! Shirley suggested I get the tan and black one. She said it would match a lot more things in my wardrobe. She was right. I reached for that one But then, I quickly snatched up that red bag! We too often talk ourselves out of fun things. But, Not Today! That purse was going home with me! 


I think that this out-to-lunch adventure was the best so far. The food was amazing, the weather perfect, the conversations with my daughter wonderful! These outings just seem to get better and better. No telling what all we will get into next. Be sure to check back in so you won't miss a thing. 




7 comments:

  1. Loved coming along on your fun day, girls! The brewery looks amazing with all the rustic decor (love the reclaimed wood walls) and those crab appetizers! The shops look fun, too. Life is definitely too short not to get the red purse! I am using one right now! xx K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this new blog! Its fun! The reviews are great and love the good pictures of the food. This place is very interesting--I love to eat at interesting places that have some history/background to them. It's even better if the food is good, right?! ha ha LOL The food here sure does look delicious....I do think I could've ate that whole plate! LOL PS---there is a little restaurant in a tiny fishing village down this way that does serve the crab balls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving this new blog! Its fun! The reviews are great and love the good pictures of the food. This place is very interesting--I love to eat at interesting places that have some history/background to them. It's even better if the food is good, right?! ha ha LOL The food here sure does look delicious....I do think I could've ate that whole plate! LOL PS---there is a little restaurant in a tiny fishing village down this way that does serve the crab balls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the restaurant and that they use historical pieces inside, like that canoe and pews! oh and that ceiling!! beautiful...and the food looks delicious! what a great outing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The food looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I am taking note of all the restaurants you go to. We sometimes go through Smithfield on our way down to Virginia Beach and I just suggested that we check it out next time we travel. Thank you so much Latane and Shirley. You go to some really neat looking places and we are always looking for something a little different :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I am taking note of all the restaurants you go to. We sometimes go through Smithfield on our way down to Virginia Beach and I just suggested that we check it out next time we travel. Thank you so much Latane and Shirley. You go to some really neat looking places and we are always looking for something a little different :)

    ReplyDelete