Saturday, January 6, 2018

It's Fall Y'all!

Where has the time gone?! 
This outing took place in November, and I let time (aka the holidays) slip up on me!
Enjoy....

It is FALL!
We ‘know” it, the calendar “shows” it, but around here, it is still green!
So today, I asked mom to meet me in Wakefield, and from there, we’d head west together in search of the elusive fall leaves that ‘should‘ be gracing the countryside by now!

Highway 460 west of Petersburg is a beautiful drive with four lanes, divided highway with lovely groves of trees and farm houses. Today I had the quaint town of Farmville on my mind. While visiting years ago, I ate at a great restaurant named Charlie’s Waterfront Grille, and felt certain mom would just love it. It would be a 2 hour drive straight through, but we two rarely ever drive ‘straight through’! There are just too many cute stops along the way! And I am notorious for – turning the car around if mom sees a good camera shot she missed!


The more we headed ‘west’, the more color change we spied! Green, Green, Yellowish green, then…. OH LOOK! One patch of scarlet, or one of deep peach! We were excited!

Soon we were graced with more and more color. It made me remember my dad. For his last several years, as Alzheimer’s robbed him of so much, I would put him in my car and we’d travel the back roads gathering colorful leaves along the roadside. Once home, we put our treasure on the table and we’d make a stain glass piece laying leaves on clear contact paper, folding it over, then hanging it in the window so the sun would shine through. Each one was beautiful to us! I miss those moments, and gathering fall leaves is one of many great memories I have of my dad.


Today, was all about mom. And the joy she was getting finding those colorful treasures. She loves the fall, getting out, exploring, taking pictures of the country side, and eating at new places. All the ‘boxes’ would be CHECKED today!

We arrived at Charlie’s Waterfront Grille but the parking lot was full. I made several loops looking. Finally I spied a couple loading up their bikes (god bless them) and stopped to ask if they were leaving. They were in search of a gift shop, but once they realized there wasn’t one nearby, they offered to move their car to another area and we could take their spot. So sweet!




Charlie’s Waterfront Grille is located near Green Front Furniture Company, once a huge manufacturing area.  I could imagine it was the life force of this town back in its day. Charlie’s sits on a nearby narrow brook-creek-stream which incidentally we realized was indeed the Appamattox River! It babbles over rocks nearby as you eat out on the deck. Today was cool, but we wanted the view (but not the breeze)! Our hostess seated us indoors, near the window which was large enough to take in all of the outdoors! It was so calming, and beautiful, I just knew mom would love it! And, she did.


After viewing their incredible menu, mom selected the Chicken Salad Sandwich with a cup of their famous Roasted Red Pepper Crab Soup! I chose the Prime Rib Sandwich with Sweet Potato Fries. 


Mom’s plate looked amazing! We were tempted to take a quart of the soup home, but decided it would be more fun to return and order it again! My sandwich was huge! But I managed! 

  

We were so full, THEN….our waitress returned, saying something like home made deserts, chocolate brownie, with fudge…I am sure she mentioned several others, but I didn’t hear anything after she said ‘brownie’! Mom had her heart set on the German Chocolate Cheese Cake! Of which, part was saved for a later time!


On our way out, we passed twelve huge warehouses that make up Green Front Furniture Company. Over 50 years ago, these buildings were tobacco warehouses and old department stores! Now they are all owned by Green Front Furniture and  boasts over 700,000 sq ft of warehouse space. Today, we chose to forgo the shopping, and headed for the car!



A quick stop at Farmville Wholesale Electric Supply to look at all the unique and beautiful lighting fixtures. I was secretly hoping I would find a great one for my entree way! But, honestly. I was so full, I couldn't concentrate! But we had fun, non the less! 


On our way home, we made a stop at a quaint greenhouse gift shop on highway 460 named The Farmers Daughters. It is always packed with seasonal décor and plants. We loved browsing and we each found something special we just ‘had to buy’. And, we were on our way again!


Perfect fall day. Perfect outing! 

6 comments:

  1. What a joy, creating some wonderful moments together to treasure. The food looked amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the 'funest' day ever! Let's do it again, Shirley!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great outing. Please take care and enjoy winter days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice day for going out ! For once I am not jealous, I hate autumn and winter and we are going towards spring and summer now !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love traveling to Farmville. Charlies is the place I eat when I do go there to shop. Will have to try that red pepper crab bisque soup. The only place I have had it so far and liked was at Louis Ginter Botanical Gardens. I must try this when I hit Charlies again. So enjoyed traveling with you and now I want to go back sooner than I thought.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete