Friday, August 12, 2016

Riverwalk Restaurant at Yorktown



          

Riverwalk Restaurant, Yorktown is ranked as one of Virginia's Top Restaurants with a Scenic View. On this bright sunny day, I thought it would be a perfect destination for our mom/daughter lunch. there was also a bookstore and an ice cream shop listed within walking distance! The makings of a truly wonderful adventure!

The restaurant with tall ceilings, stone-stacked fireplace and wall to wall windows overlooking the river, is simply lovely. The menu offers a variety of items for lunch. I selected the French Dip Sandwich. Mom took the waiters suggestion of Crab Cake Sandwich, which, we hear is one of their most popular items.


photo from Riverwalk website

While we waited, we gazed out at the beautiful scenery. Suddenly a tall three-mast schooner sailed into sight from under the Coleman Bridge! I quickly ran outside to take photos of this magnificent ship.





You can't help but wonder what it must have felt like being on those shores over 200 years ago. The British had established a stronghold on these banks. So, George Washington ordered our troops to block the Brits from escaping via land, and with help from the French armada on the river, the most important battle of the Revolutionary War took place. (Note, it didn't end well for the English!) All that happened right here, where I was standing! Amazing!

While I was outside, the waiter delivered freshly baked bread and pesto dipping sauce to our table. It was a good thing I arrived back when I did, mom had already started enjoying it!  We just nibbled and chatted away. 




We love being together, and I just want to capture our time out as much as I can, so we snuggled together for some selfies. First one, uh...no. Second one, she was good and I wasn't, third, fourth. We kept posing, checking the pics, laughing, then posing again! Clearly we need to practice more! 
 






Mom's Crab Cake Sandwich was great. It came stacked with lettuce, tomato and coleslaw. A bit messy towards the end, but she managed just fine. 



My French Dip arrived and looked amazing as well. Just one question....'how' do I eat this thing? The sandwich was too big to pick up whole. Too messy to cut easily. What is a lady to do? So I daintily picked up my knife, grabbed that sandwich and cut it into sections then dipped them! Well worth the task! The steak was tender, and the au jus was delish! I ate the entire thing!  




During our lunch, mom and I talked and talked (Southern girls love to talk!), but I was distracted by the table beside us. Three business men were having a meeting. Phrases like "Global cities initiative concept' and ' business management portfolio diversification' floated our way. Now there is a conversation we wouldn't normally hear if we had stayed at home!


One of the desserts Riverwalk is known for is their Key Lime Pie. Made fresh daily, it arrived covered in whipped cream and swirls of raspberry sauce. I loved the pie, but beware... that raspberry sauce will snap your jaw! I was brave (or dumb enough, not sure which) to sample just the sauce alone, and my arms were covered in goose bumps. So, feeling mischievous, I dared mom to try it. Her face did a mini-stroke thing, and she shivered! I laughed so hard! Paired with the pie and whipped cream, the sauce is fabulous. But warning, do not eat it straight up! 




Earlier, we caught a glimpse of what appeared to be a windmill. So, after lunch, we walked the brick paved boardwalk looking for it. I thought it might be a display or reproduction, but we soon learned all about it.



        
The structure is indeed a replica of the original mill which was built in 1711 on this site. The mill witnessed the Battle of Yorktown (and is even depicted in the famous 1786 painting "Washington and His Generals at Yorktown" ) 



The mill survived the battle and continued to provide flour for the people of York County throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. 

A quick stop at the bookstore - mom is an author so we can not pass a bookstore and not go in! We agreed that we were so full, the ice cream shop would have to wait until our next visit. 


We were happy, full and thirsty. We definitely had to cap off our wonderful day together with a tall glass of sweet iced tea for the road! We are, after all, Southern girls, it's what we do, ya'll. 

9 comments:

  1. Lovely lunch at a really cool spot! Loved the historic references! I've been reading a lot lately about the Revolution, and also have enjoyed the shows TURN: Washington's Spies and Legends and Lies on Fox. Miss getting to go to the actual places these things happened, but life is like that! :-) The food looks fabulous. I am out for brunch this morning with my church ladies...will have to post about it also! Great post! (Loved the selfies!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun post! I love this lunch blog, y'all! The food sure looked delicious. I make a mean key lime pie and haven't made one in awhile. That one looked good. Love the history you added...I am a big history buff and have been immersed in local history here all afternoon, digging through the old records and all, I just love it. Keeps me busy and learn so much. Glad y'all got to have such a wonderful outing....sounds like another great one! PS----now I'm craving crab cake sandwich!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to post a reply! Good to know that we are sharing our adventures with others. (and yes, that crab cake was crazy good!)

      Delete
  3. what a great day...i enjoyed the post and love reading about all the fun you two have together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting your blog by way of Marie. (sorry if I missed it on your blog Latane) It looks like you gals had a wonderful lunch and outing. I'll be back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, what a great place to visit. The lunch looks delicious. Wonderful series of photos, I love the schooner shot. LOoks like a fun time for both of you! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The selfies were fun to see, two pretty ladies enjoying each other's company. Loved this post. The food looks delicious! This is an eatery we would like to put on our list as we find ourselves down that way quite often and are always on the look out for new restaurants. That old sailing boat picture was wonderful, as was the pretty mill. I have enjoyed learning about the history since I moved to the States. Having a history buff for a husband helps and we often have great conversations. He also is doing our genealogy and I found out a little while ago that I had family who fought on the side of the Colonists back in that day. I was delighted to find out all this family history as my mom, dad and aunts and uncles who never knew, and not only that but we have relatives who moved to the States all through its history, and are now wanting to explore some of the places we can find them. Thanks for a fun post. Please say hi to your Mom for me. I came over from your sister's blog today. Denise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments! Mom and I have really enjoyed these outings and we especially enjoy sharing our adventures with our readers! We hope you will continue to follow along with us! Have a great day!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing your outing..it reminds me of my mom and I as we also love to eat out and enjoy each other's company. I wish we had exciting and interesting places to go like you do, but unfortunately we don't live near anything that great. But! time with my mom is precious and I know you two think the same. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete