Thursday, June 16, 2016

The Surry Seafood Company

Another lunch adventure with my daughter! Whenever we meet to go out we never discuss what we are going to wear, but doggone it... we almost always end up wearing the same color!        
Today we BOTH show up in peach and white! It is crazy!



We head down a country road, through the small town of Surry and on toward the Jamestown Ferry. Soon, Shirley turns left down a little ole bitty road. I am a bit worried. 


 We end up on the banks of Gray's Creek where the The Surry Seafood Company Restaurant has just opened for business. The building looks great and it is right on the edge of the water. It is a beautiful day, blue skies and a soft breeze, just perfect for a mother/daughter lunch.



We arrive early and are seated out on the patio so we can overlook the water. 


Now you know how I love taking pictures. Soon I spot what I thought was some sort of water fowl high up in the sky. I zoom in to take a closer picture and Shirley starts laughing. 
'Mom, that is a buzzard'. 
Yep, she's right. That girl knows her birds!
So, I find other fun things to take photos of and we enjoy the boats trolling by.


Shirley's Food Review:

Scanning over the menu, I was amazed at just how many items were listed for under $15. There were over 30. (Yes, I counted them!) Everything from Wraps, Salads, Burgers, Subs to Seafood. In addition they have a great selection of enticing entrees.

Since it was a beautiful day, I was in the mood for something light and refreshing so I ordered their Seafood Salad (lightly seared scallops, shrimp and crumbled crabmeat served on a bed of spring greens. It was amazing. 


Mom ordered the Crab Cake Supreme plate with hand-cut fries and steamed broccoli. It was equally amazing. Of course, we both had sweet tea! 

Our food arrives and we act like two little kids (oh, I meant to say blogger/photographer) moving our plates to first this table, then another, in search of the best lighting for our photo shoot.

Other guests are now being seated nearby and we girls settle down and act like grown-ups, eating our lunch all proper and such. Shirley, however, quickly gets into a friendly conversation with the people at the table next to us. She has 'NEVER' met a stranger. That girl loves to talk. She gets that from her daddy!

We are so pleasantly stuffed from the wonderful meal and I am thinking 'time to head home, time for a nap'. But, that doesn't happen.The best place to pick fresh strawberries is at College Run Farms, just down the road. 


'Girl,' I say, 'you have on white pants. You'll get them all stained'. She heads for the patch anyway. That girl never did listen to me!! She comes back with a plastic container filled with luscious red berries to take home. (and not ONE stain is on her! Me ... I would have had it all over me, from head to toe!!)


At College Run Farms, one of their specialties is home made strawberry ice cream. Remember now, we are still comfortably stuffed from our wonderful lunch but those cones were just too tempting to turn down. So, we each get one and sit on a nearby bench, laughing as we slurp up the sweetness that threatens to drip all over us.


Life couldn't be better!

written by Shirley Dietz and Willie Latane Barton - - -food commentary by Shirley Dietz.

11 comments:

  1. isn't it funny how the 2 of you unknowingly dress alike?!! i have to laugh for a minute, when i was reading your menu, you mentioned "everything from wraps" but i read it as everything from WASPS" guess i'm still thinking about the wasp at the hummingbird feeder lol...i was thinking "wasps? that's weird"!! the lunch looks amazing, much better than wasps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely blog you have here. I'm looking forward to reading much more. The bit about the buzzard made me snicker. ~ Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! That seafood salad looks amazing! So does the strawberry ice cream! You girls look like you had a great time! What a beautiful day...great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun to spend quality time together. That seafood salad looked amazing, what a great place to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a terrific idea for a blog! Great fun reading these, plus I'm learning about some neat places to visit. Going to have to visit Surry soon. (btw, I LOVE College Run Farm, too) Can't wait for the blueberries to come on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love love love your new blog!! This is so fun y'all!!!! Keep it coming

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this blog, happy, beautiful and delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun! I like the ice cream part the best! I can't believe she walked through that patch without getting a single stain...that's talent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like the kind of place where I would love to eat. And then a visit to a strawberry farm for ice cream - Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am really enjoying your restaurant reviews. Fun to read, look at those lovely surroundings and vicariously enjoy the yummy food :)

    ReplyDelete